Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Rear... Stock Width or Narrow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" Rear... Stock Width or Narrow?

Hey All,

I've been debating on a narrowed or stock width rear end... I have an order in for a 9" rear end, narrowed 2" per side, but I still have time to change to stock width if I change my mind.

I went with 2" narrowing because I want to run 15 x 10 rims out back for the track and I have seen that 5.5" backspaced rims are fairly common.

Here's my problem:

I currently have 17" ZR1 replica rims all the way around.

With the new rearend, I plan to run 15 x 10 rear wheels with skinnies out front for the track.

However, I want to keep the ZR1's for the street.

I've looked on the OEWheelsLLC.com website and a few others, but I've only been able to find the stock offset rims...

If I go with a narrowed rear end, am I going to have to switch to a different rim for the street? Or do they make the 17" ZR1's in a correct backspacing for a narrowed rear end?

Please chime in if you have any info... thanks in advance!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey, i had zr1's on my car too, before i ordered my rearend narrowed 3" per side. Your options here are simple.
1. you can run a 2" spacer for the zr1's (which many people wont recommend, do to the fact that a spacer puts more stress on the studs, specially when they are that big)

2. you gonna have to order new street wheels with a custom backspace.

i personally haven't seen zr1 wheels with a custom backspace. Most people when narrowing a rearend, they take into account the cost of new wheels for the street, or just run the drag set up on both street/strip. hope that helps and congrats on the new rear end
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by javier1730
hey, i had zr1's on my car too, before i ordered my rearend narrowed 3" per side. Your options here are simple.
1. you can run a 2" spacer for the zr1's (which many people wont recommend, do to the fact that a spacer puts more stress on the studs, specially when they are that big)

2. you gonna have to order new street wheels with a custom backspace.

i personally haven't seen zr1 wheels with a custom backspace. Most people when narrowing a rearend, they take into account the cost of new wheels for the street, or just run the drag set up on both street/strip. hope that helps and congrats on the new rear end
Thanks so much!

So... scenario #1 - stock width rear end:

I get to keep my 17x11 ZR1's, and I can buy some street/strip rims.

Scenario #2 - narrowed rear end.

#1 Run a 2" spacer with the current 17x11 ZR1's

#2 - Sell my rear 17x11 ZR1's, as well as my front ZR1's.

In this scenario, I'd have to buy a new street setup, as well as a new strip setup...

Hmm... stock width is starting to look like a better option!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It is hard to beat a narrowed rear end when it come to looks. Here is a Trans Am I put together a long time ago with a S60 narrowed 3" on each side with Weld Alumastars front and rear. Also here is a couple pictures of my buddy's 96 Z28 we put together, it has a 9" narrowed 3" on each side with a set of the Weld RT-S on it in the rear and black Weld Alumastars on the front.
Attached Thumbnails 9" Rear... Stock Width or Narrow?-gator.jpg   9" Rear... Stock Width or Narrow?-wookie_z28_3.jpg   9" Rear... Stock Width or Narrow?-wookie_z28_1.jpg   9" Rear... Stock Width or Narrow?-wookie_z28_4.jpg  

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone know how narrow you can go and still use the stock suspension in the stock location?
The following users liked this post:
BigWeave (08-03-2022)
Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: 9" Rear... Stock Width or Narrow?