Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

axle swap help

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default axle swap help

i am going to be doing a rear end swap in a 81 regal that i just bought

the car originaly had a v6 and is going to have a lsx engine installed shortly

now that you know that it was a v6 with a stock rear end, can a f body with rear disc be swaped out in its place

if so what other items am i going to have to swap out as well

has anyone done one of these swaps and if so can you post some pics please or info so i can get the ball rolling

thanks in advance

dave
Old 01-06-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Since a 81 regal had a 7.5 rear with 26 spline axles,you really wouldn't be upgrading by using an f-body 7.625 rear with 28 spline axles. The gearset is only 1/8 " bigger and the axles are slightly bigger. The carrier internals are identical. If these 10 bolts break in Camaro/Firebirds,it'll also break in a LS powered 81 regal. Plus shocks mounting,control arm mounting and u-joint adaption would need extension design/fabrication.
Your best bet for a bolt-in/near bolt-in beefier rear would be from a 84-87 grand national,they are regals. they used 8.5 rears with 30 spline axles. They are only 1 size under the 12 bolt 8.8 GM rearend that are swapped in to f-bods as an upgrade.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand about the size of the carrier but was curious if a assembly like a 10 or 12 bolt from a f body was a direct bolt in being they hang from the same style mounting points

where is a good place to find a GN rear assembly

i want to convert the rear to disc for better response to stopping