Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft length problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driveshaft length problem?

I recently purchased a new driveshaft for my th-400 chromemoly driveshaft,I think its too long I slide the yoke entirely in tranny and after muscleing it into the rear.I have 3/16" play in the yoke I would think i need at least 1/2" to 3/4" to work.Also took for ride and get a vibriation that wasnt there with the old shaft.I bought this used it is a mark williams driveshaft 3".I can't bring the rear any further back either its as far as I can get it.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Lift the car and put the jackstands under the axle, so the rear suspension is at approx ride height. Insert the yoke all the way into the trans. The U-joint should be approx .75-1" from the rear yoke

Too little play and you risk a bind which kills transmissions and turns the DS into a bad thing. Too much and the yoke doesnt have enough coverage to remain perfectly strait on the output shaft
Old 04-08-2012, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

I put the car on ramps all i have for play is 3/16" too long it is then.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Shoot the shop that built it an email with your problem. If they tell you to stick it, then take it to a local DS shop and have it shortened. The only measure they need to know is the distance from the tip of the output shaft to the CL of the U-joint yoke on the rear. Shortening is inexpensive
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Sucks man. Good call on getting it shortened. Mine had about the same amount of play after my rear end install, until I hit an intense bump and the DS busted the seal on the tranny. No severe damage, but I know it could've been worse.