Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help on reparing axle bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on reparing axle bearings

I need any pointers you have on repairing axle bearings on a 1994 Caprice I have never done it before on this type of rear end so i was looking for any and all help i could get
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing you need to pull them and replace, right? If so, you need to get the axles out first. You have 8.5 inch 10 bolt with C-clips, I believe, so you'll have to open up the center section, remove the c-clips, and slide the axles out. This is a greasy, nasty process. Be prepared with oil catch basins and rags. Once the axles are out, I'd take out the seals, and use an axle bearing puller ("free" rental at most chain auto parts stores). Mine took about three hours total time to do, once I got done chasing parts and tools down. .
Old 08-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I'm guessing you need to pull them and replace, right? If so, you need to get the axles out first. You have 8.5 inch 10 bolt with C-clips, I believe, so you'll have to open up the center section, remove the c-clips, and slide the axles out. This is a greasy, nasty process. Be prepared with oil catch basins and rags. Once the axles are out, I'd take out the seals, and use an axle bearing puller ("free" rental at most chain auto parts stores). Mine took about three hours total time to do, once I got done chasing parts and tools down. .
Thanks will get on it first thing in the morning
Old 08-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1981TA
call me 870-818-1277
Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this exploded view of the diff. The parts I referred to in my IM are #3 and #5. Remove #5 first, so you can remove #3. Once #3 is out, you should be able to push the axles inward, and the C-Clips should then come out easily.

Quick Reply: Need help on reparing axle bearings