Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help with a rear end issue.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with a rear end issue.

Over the last few months I have been noticing that the rear end of the car feels like it "floats" side to side at speeds over 50. The faster I go the worse it gets. It has gotten to the point that a 75mph go scares the crap out of me. It floats to one side and I correct and it floats right away to the other side. Another way to describe the feeling is the rear breaking loose on a wet road, except it isn't breaking loose.

So far I have pulled apart the front end to check the upper and lower ball joints. No movement or noises when I pull the wheel. Tie rods have no play. All my rod ends are tight and no noise during driving even over bumps. Jam nuts are tight.

After the front I moved to the back. Rear control arms tight and the rod ends have no play in them. Jam nuts are tight. Panhard bar rod end is tight and no play or noise. Jam nut is tight there also. So out of frustration I start yanking out on the rear wheels. Driver side has no abnormal play. Move over to the passenger side and give it a tug. I got a loud clank when I pulled it out and another as I let it go. Also I am getting a lot of movement out of that wheel where as the driver side has none.

I am thinking I have a problem with the rear, but I know next to nothing when it comes to them. Suspension mods are in sig. A bearing maybe? Problem is there is no whining noise when I drive. Could my passenger side axle be moving in the tube causing this? Any help would be appreciated guys. I am at a loss.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are pulling straight out on the axis of the axle play is normal...the stop you feel is the infamous c clip.

If on the other hand you are twisting the wheel, push on bottom and pull on top and you feel play, that is an axle bearing.

To me it sounds like you do have a bad bearing in the rear or front. They can make the car pretty squirrely.

Neither are hard to replace, but you need a couple of "special" tools for the rear.

Quick Reply: Need help with a rear end issue.