Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Clunking from rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking from rear

Alright, I've had this for a little while now and I'm getting sick of it.

During low speed turns, like in a parking lot, the rear will "clunk." Under throttle it is fine, but every so often the low speed turns make it go "clunk clunk clunk clunk." The diff also looks like it is oily in the center section now. I did a diff fluid change when I got this rear end about 8 months ago, had the clunking problem and did another fluid change (at the same time I also noticed the rear sway bar endlinks were loose, tightened them), it stopped for a while, and now it is back. Each diff fluid change I used the posi additive. Larry suggested checking the diff fluid level, and it is slightly low, but nothing huge. Should be in line with the little hole, and I would say it is 1 cm lower than that. She's fine in straight lines, still spins both tires, and makes no other ruckus.

So suggestions? When I did the fluid change last time I put 75w-90, should I try 85w-140?

edit- this is an Auburn rear end.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Staging Lane

It also appears to clunk more after the car has been driving for a while.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest it could be a few things going on inside, teeth on the ring and pinion are broken off, your LSD carrier is cracked/broken, you possibly even had a bolt backout and its boucing around in there etc.....

If it was mine i would put it up on stands, put it in nuetral, the cover would come off drain fluid inspect the internals closely while turning the wheel. most likely you will see the problem
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

I actually JUST got done doing that ^ Absolutely nothing was wrong. I was missing about 150ml of fluid, so nothing big. The carrier wasn't cracked, the teeth are all there, the wear pattern is very good, and nothing in there to clunk around. :thinking:
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Teching In

I have what sounds like exactly the same sound in my 2000 Z-28 58,000 miles. Almost sounds like the motor is surging at an idle and "slapping the ring and pinion" back and forth. Rear is quiet driving down the road.
Could it be the posi chattering?

Quick Reply: Clunking from rear