Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spool spline question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spool spline question?

Hi guys I bought a 31 spline spool off ebay for a 8.8 ford rearend. It's a nice machined piece, but the spline length inside the spool is about 1" long. Is that enough contact area on the axles splines to be strong enough for a 700hp car. The contact area on spider gears Isn't very much either, and they are strong. I thought the contact area of the splines Would be close to the same length as the axle splines. Don't want to break an axle, I'm thinking more contact on the splines would be much stronger any input on this would be helpful thanks.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the spline engagement matches or exceeds the diameter of the axle You will be fine.

Spools don't use spider gears, what are You referring to?
Carl
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

I was just comparing the width of the splines inside the spool that I bought, to the width of the splines inside of a spider gear. I'm concerned about twisting stripping the axle splines, or stripping out the splines in the spool cause the width of the splines inside the spool seems narrow to me if the splines where wider it would have more contact on the axle splines.
The rearend has 31 spline moser axles, and c-clip elimantors
Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4.8 truckin
I was just comparing the width of the splines inside the spool that I bought, to the width of the splines inside of a spider gear. I'm concerned about twisting stripping the axle splines, or stripping out the splines in the spool cause the width of the splines inside the spool seems narrow to me if the splines where wider it would have more contact on the axle splines.
The rearend has 31 spline moser axles, and c-clip elimantors
I see, something else to be concerned about is the pressure angle the splines have on the spool. Not all brands of axles use the same pressure angle. Strange and Moser have the same, Mark Williams uses a different angle. Just having the axle engage in the splines a certain depth is only part of the overall situation.

If I were You and weren't certain everything is compatible I would return the Ebay spool and buy one from Moser or Strange.

Carl
Old 03-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

The spool is a quick performance brand, has anyone run one? I'm going to run it if something breaks ill replace it with a better one.

Quick Reply: Spool spline question?