Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" and pro kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moser 9" and pro kit?

I just ordered a moser 9" rear and while reading some on here I've noticed that people have had to BFH the tans tunnel for the TA to clear and not hit the floor pan. Right now I'm lowered on eibach pro kit which drops the rear of the car 1.2". I'm starting to worry that could be too much drop for the new rear end. I really dont want to put the stock springs back in because i really like the stance of the car the way it sits now. Basically I'd like to know if any of you are running a moser 9" on a lowered car and did you have to do for the TA to clear the tunnel.

Thanks Jason
Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not a matter of if... it's how much. I just had a car in here that had a Moser stamped 9 and there was apretty good size hole ripped in the floor from the torque arm bracket, with factory springs and hose mod. Not the first one this has happened to... When someone calls us and inquires about this(and other) rearends we try to give all the info about the install and what really happens. We just don't take your money and then let you figure out the small details on your own.

It is a known issue for this to happen with the f-body cars. On the stamped housing the driveshaft was cheated over to the passenger side and the torque arm was moved to the driver side to make it all work. The torque arm attaching bolts if installed on a 9" rearend with the driveshaft in the stock location would pass through the pinion bearings... obviously this won't work.

This is just one of the reasons I came up with the MWC fabricated 9" package and then Moser offered their M9 housing that comes with a torque arm that contours to the floors better and has better clearances. No matter what rearend is in the car if you lower the car to whatever extent at some point something is gonna hit.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your reply and the info. Just so I got it, is it the TA bracket on the rear end that I will need to make room for then or is it the actual TA itself that will have the clearance issues.

And also Eric if I had the time to wait for one of your fabulous fab9 rears I definitely would've went that route. Unfortunately time was an issue I needed a rear now.

Thanks again for input
Jason
Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Jason, there are several locations where the torque arm and torque arm bracket can make contact with the standard Moser 9 inch. Usually you can add clearance once everything is installed with a pry bar. The floor's sheetmetal bends pretty easily for added clearance.

FYI: The Moser M9, which is their fabricated rear, doesn't have these clearance problems, and ships out just as quick as their standard 9 inch rears.

I'll be e-mailing you your tracking numbers asap. Thanks! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hi Jason, I got your standard Moser 9 inch order cancelled (they had already started on it) and put in the new order for the M9. You'll like the M9, I got the first one they built back in 2007 for my 99 Z28, it s an awesome rear. Bob

Old 04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

WOW! Thanks for getting that switched for me Bob!! As always Bob your customer service and dedication to your customers is truly second to none! Thank you for going out of your way to get me straight!

Thanks Jason
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by jastone
WOW! Thanks for getting that switched for me Bob!! As always Bob your customer service and dedication to your customers is truly second to none! Thank you for going out of your way to get me straight!

Thanks Jason
Not a problem, you're welcome! Thanks Jason! Bob

Quick Reply: Moser 9" and pro kit?