Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Gear whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear whine

Ok,

I have actually searched alot, and have heard that rearend gear whine or a whistle sound made when lightly accelerating may actually not be my transmission and may infact be my rearend.

I saw this mentioned a couple times on the internet but when searching specifically about gear whine coming from the rear but sounding like it is coming from under my shifter i get nothing.

I only get whine in 4-6th when lightly accelerating around 50+ mph

Sometimes its a very loud whistle other times its barely noticeable if there at all.

Any insight?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it sound like this? delete the .txt file ending and play it as an mp3, it's a few seconds long and you can hear me on and off the gas light load around 55-60 mph. also attached is a frequency plot of the noise and you can see the spikes at 500 hz which is the noise.
Attached Thumbnails Gear whine-picture1.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
sound2.mp3.txt (68.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Launching!

unfortunately I have a mac....and your sound bit doesnt work for me :/

I thought it might be rearend because others mentioned it was when they were getting whining noise from under the shifter but the trans operated flawlessly.

I had a vid on my computer ill try and make another one, but i need to get my exhaust fixed as it rubs on my new umi torque arm giving me a good bit of cabin noise.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just checked the file and it is good. when you download it you have to rename it- just take off the .txt it is an mp3 file. i find it hard to believe you can't listen to an mp3 on a mac.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Launching!

Got it to work by downloading it and then save as and renaming it,

sounds like mine alittle, mine has more of a whistle to it more pitchey and I assuming your pressing on the gas letting off and pressing repeatedly? I pretty much only get noise on light accel, and at no other times.

Car shifts great aside from the junk as hurst shifter in it.

Quick Reply: Gear whine