Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replaced diff in 02 ss with eaton

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced diff in 02 ss with eaton

I replaced the fActory differential with a eaton, could not get both factory spacers back in so oem on the left and supplied spacers from eaton on the rt. Got enough spacers in til I thought it was snug. Torqued it all down then drove it very smooth and tight only prob is when in say 5tb gear cruisin and you back off gas pedal u hear a slight howl from rear end but then just bump gas pedal and it goes away???? Shimming issue? Btw I reused the ring gear.
Thanks for any input.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 ss replaced diff with eaton

Replaced diff in 02 ss with eaton
I replaced the fActory differential with a eaton, could not get both factory spacers back in so oem on the left and supplied spacers from eaton on the rt. Got enough spacers in til I thought it was snug. Torqued it all down then drove it very smooth and tight only prob is when in say 5tb gear cruisin and you back off gas pedal u hear a slight howl from rear end but then just bump gas pedal and it goes away???? Shimming issue? Btw I reused the ring gear.
Thanks for any input.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah its a backlash issue. when you set gears you have to set backlash on accel side and decel side. so when you use your gear paint you paint both sides and rotate it around a few times one way and then turn the other way a few times to get the half moon shape on the ring gear teeth.

Quick Reply: Replaced diff in 02 ss with eaton