Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Trans Am gear exchange help requested.

Old 05-10-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Is a new Zexel Torsen necessary for a gear swap?

If I have my 1999 Trans Am gears swapped from the current 3.23 (series 3 carrier) to a 3:73 gear set, will I need to purchase a new Zexel Torsen posi differential unit or will the current differential be appropriate? My main concern would be whether or not the spline tooth count and size will match up to the ring and pinion gears. I plan to buy the GM 3:73 ring and pinion gear set and installation kit. I would also like to keep the cost down as much as possible. I have already purchased a T6 356 grade aluminim rear girdle cover from MAC, which closely resembles the T/A girdle cover ... for support. Can some experienced folks here recommend the right way to do this gear exchange? My car is all bolt-ons and will probably never be over 400 RWHP, at least not in the near future ... maybe someday. A Moser 12-bolt or Ford 9" will someday be a goal, but, not for 2-3 more years. I just need guidance for the currently planned gear exchange. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ....

Last edited by JEB99TA; 05-11-2004 at 12:36 PM. Reason: No replies.

Search this Thread