Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help with gear pattern, or Eric @ MWC

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Help with gear pattern, or Eric @ MWC

I've been having some trouble getting ahold of MWC through E-mail or phone so posting here for some opinions. My new rear was making sound all the time, you can here the audio here http://picosong.com/qrtc/.

So I pulled the pinion support and took some pics, let me know what you think. The chip out of the pinion gear has me a little concerned. There is about 40miles on the new rear.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in for answers!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's really not enough info to speculate. Would need to see the pattern with marking compound, can't see much without it. How much pinion bearing preload? Crush sleeve or solid spacer? How much backlash? Brand of gear? Lot of variables involved with gear noise. Some gears will make noise no matter what. I've got a set of richmonds in my 9" that are set up PERFECT, and it still makes noise from 60-75mph on the drive side.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

^^ These make the same amount of noise from 10mph on accel and decel and it never goes away, which from what I've read isn't normal. Some noise wouldn't bother me and was expected but this is constant. I didn't setup the gears just assembled the rear so I don't have some of that info.

Eric got back to me and I've got to pull the center. He said it looks like there is some scuffing on them. This thing was a bitch to put in with the rear out, it's really gonna suck on my back!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics are pointless without some marking compound.

I have set up several 9" gears and seen nice patterns still make a little noise. I have found that if you play around with the pinion shims, add .005 or subtract .005 then drive it, you can fine tune the gears to the point where they are dead silent. Might have to re-shim several times to finally nail it but it can be done. My current 4.11s are dead silent.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Eric said he couldn't make it any quieter if the same amount of noise is there on coast and acceleration...... Which is happening. Believe me....I'd rather just shim it than have to pull it and start the break-in over again. I guess he doesn't need them marked, he looked at them as is and saw some 'scuffing on the drive side' is how he put it.

Quick Reply: Help with gear pattern, or Eric @ MWC