Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Signs of a leaky dif?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Signs of a leaky dif?

I recently noticed today that my car bangs and hops real bad around 45 mph. Its a 10 bolt with richmond 3.73s and Mac cover. When I last parked it I noticed a few small drops just infront of the diff cover like it ran down the TQ arm before dripping off. So either its very slowely dripping or there almost no fluid left in it. I havent seen and spots in my driveway so it must have happened recently. Rear end hasnt been opened up since about 2000 miles ago when the gears were put in. Does this sound like its low or are my gears just fucked? I havent beat on the car in the last month since im trying to get some trans vibrations issues taken care of, havent even taken it passed 1/2 throttle. Its gonna be check by somebody tomorrow just have to find out if my local speed shop can do it or if I should bring it to the dealer.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I don't think that means the fluid is gone... I don't think you'd be driving if the fluid all ran out. It's probably a slow pinion leak which just about all of the 10 bolts do.

You could always drain the fluid out and refill with a thicker weight oil (like say 85w140) and see if that helps the problem.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you take it to the dealer? they wouldn't do anything with it anyway since its an aftermarket gear in it.

can you got into more detail about the "banging adn hopping" at 45 mph? it only does it at a that speed? more details about the syptoms please

i've sent a few 10 bolts to the graveyard in my days and i never had one act up only at a certain speed or what not..if it was busted, it was busted.

did you get under there any check all your suspension?