Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ok 1 more problem assembling the moser 9" MORE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok 1 more problem assembling the moser 9" MORE HELP!!

I am assembling my moser 9" and have yet another problem...I slid the caliper brackets on and then pressed on the bearings and press rings.....now that I have the 3rd member in, I am ready to slid in the axles....the first one slid right in, the bearing is fluch with the flange on the end of the axle tube....but the next one won't slide all the way in (it lack only about 1/32 of and inch, the o-ring on the bearing is in the flange, but it stops sliding in right after in the oring goes in.....help....
Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a hammer and a 2x4 and whack it in - sometimes the bearing is a little tight. If it doesnt go any further after a couple hits something is wrong but it should go right in..
Old 05-17-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just did a Moser 9" install this weekend on my car.

Just evenly tighten down the T-bolts and it will pull the bearing fully into the housing ends.
Steve
Old 05-17-2004, 11:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pull it back out and get some light sand paper and sand the inside of the housing end. I would make sure it goes in straight without alot of force or else you could rip the o-ring. Use a small amount of axle grease also.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

the bearing will NOT go all the way in it will stick out about a 1/32 the o ring will barely dissapear there will be a tiny gap betwen the housing and the brake baking plate when it is all tight i have put together tons of these i build them everyday thats just how far they go in! good luck
Old 05-17-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm, my bearings went in all the way flush with the housing ends. One side knocked in all the way by hand. The other side was out about 1/32" until I tightened the T-bolts and that it drew it in flush.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Launching!

I just had a local guy put together a 9" 2 weeks ago. The pass side axle was just a wee bit too long and was bottoming out on a little block inside the Tru Trac differential. He ground the axle end down a bit and it seems to have taken care of the problem.

Not sure if this helps... but it might be worth looking at.