Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

questionable vibration..thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy questionable vibration..thoughts?

Okay guys, I need some help and wasn't sure which forum to post in. I recently made a great many changes to my Z. TCI SSF, BMR LCA's, reloc brackets, headers, poly trans mt (prothane) ES poly torque arm mount, etc.
At first I had brutal vibration at all times but ran a few passes later that night and the trans mount seemed to loosen up vibration wise. Well weeks later, it hasn't changed any further. It still has a fairly wicked vibration at part throttle shifts but smoothes out once the converter locks up. WOT is smooth.
here's my question. Is this really all from the Poly trans mt? Could I have a poor pinion angle binding the driveshaft? I still have the steel d/s in the car from when I had 2.73's. Would an aluminum shaft help with driveline vibe?
Would poly motor mounts help by keeping the motor in place better? Driver's side only maybe? I put the LCA's in the lower bolt hole of the reloc brackets for better bite and have pulled a 1.70 60ft on nittos since then. I just hate all this vibration I'm getting and I want/need to address it w/out just throwing parts at the car. sorry so long and thanks for any and all help!!
Old 05-21-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

do you have this vibration at idle?
if not, 1st check the pinion angle(you mentioned relocated brkts)
then go from there..
Old 05-22-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It vibrates some at idle, but mainly over a 2K plus load in any gear. I'm thinking it's the mount, period. I'm going to try the rubber between the mount/member trick and see what that does for me?? Any other suggestions??