Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Bolt?

So the 2002 Camaro SS I purchased has a Moser 12 bolt rear end in it. Since it is around 14 years old I want to put fresh fluids into it. Going to refresh everything once out of winter storage.

The previous owner did not know what carrier the differential is, so I was wondering if / how to determine which one is in there. It was his fathers car and he had passed away and only had noted Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 w/ 33 spline axles.

I have contacted Moser and without the build # or invoice they can not tell me. Their response "With being 33 spline could be Eaton, Auburn, True Trac, or spool"

I doubt it is a spool as it was a light weekend driver for the guy, only 7063 miles on her when I sat in the seat for the test drive.

When I drop the cover will it be obvious which unit is installed? Do these units have manufacture markings on them?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

of the 4 you mentioned,it would be obvious to 'rear end guys'. but if you're not knowledgeable about carriers,post a pic of the carrier with its' internals showing thru a carrier window.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I pull her from storage and have the chance I will get a picture and add it to the thread.

Unfortunately that will be a couple months down the line ;( darn winter anyways

Quick Reply: 12 Bolt?