LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Gears & Axles (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles-15/)
-   -   Post up your Driveshaft lengths for 9" ... (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/1832280-post-up-your-driveshaft-lengths-9-a.html)

1nastyss 05-16-2016 05:08 PM

Post up your Driveshaft lengths for 9" ...

Just trying to see in my PST is longer then your usual 9" length for a 9" rear , mine is bottomed out on the t56 trans housing , from center to center on my Driveshaft , I'm getting about 42 1/4 inches , that's center of front cap to center of rear cap on the U joints ,,, let me know what u guys are getting , I know that must of the time a Driveshaft for a 9" is 1" longer then stock

LS1-450 05-16-2016 05:40 PM

Sorry, I don't have an answer to shaft length. Regarding "bottomed out," wanted to make sure that you knew that the drive shaft needs to be able to move forward & aft.

1nastyss 05-16-2016 05:50 PM

Oh yea , that's the problem , haha , It's completely butted up against the Trans tailshaft housing , scarey

MidwestChassis 05-18-2016 08:28 AM

It looks like you are around 3/8 or more to long by the dimensions that we use but the type of slip yoke that is used also plays a factor into driveshaft lengths.

2011grandsport 05-18-2016 06:40 PM

I have a PST 3-1/2" alum. shaft that Eric ordered for me it fits T-56 to MWC fab 9". 41-1/2" CL to CL of u-joint and the yoke is 6" CL of u-joint to end of yoke. Make sure your housing is centered in the fender well. Hope this helps!

Bob@BruteSpeed 05-18-2016 09:21 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...66b790ae56.jpg

45.25 (x dimension) is typically the length for a 9 inch with a 4L60E or a T-56, measured with the chassis in the loaded position. Bob

ElkySS 05-18-2016 10:14 PM

While we're on the subject, I've always been curious about mine. I have a 3.5" PST custom length (don't remember the measurment). When installing it, it won't go into the transmission far enough to install easily. I have to play with it to get it to go into the rear end yoke. When removing it, i can only push it maybe 3/8" into the transmission. Not even enough to clear the yoke.

It's been in the car for a few years now with alot of hard launches. Hasn't caused any problems yet but I thought I'd ask. Does this sound right?

Bob@BruteSpeed 05-19-2016 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by ElkySS (Post 19266450)
While we're on the subject, I've always been curious about mine. I have a 3.5" PST custom length (don't remember the measurment). When installing it, it won't go into the transmission far enough to install easily. I have to play with it to get it to go into the rear end yoke. When removing it, i can only push it maybe 3/8" into the transmission. Not even enough to clear the yoke.

It's been in the car for a few years now with alot of hard launches. Hasn't caused any problems yet but I thought I'd ask. Does this sound right?

No that does not sound right, I would look at the transmission output splines as it sounds like they are twisted. Bob

ssvert99 05-24-2016 10:10 AM

Not one measurement will be exactly right or wrong for everyone.

A Strange chromoly yoke requires a different length than say a PST standard yoke.

A guy running a 28" tire with his MWC rearend cheated forward to center the tire will need a different length than his buddy with some poly ended non adjustable lowers with a Moser 9".

What I am getting to is that there is only one way to make sure your driveshaft is right for YOU. While we and others may have some numbers to use from sales history doesn't mean that those numbers are a standard for someone's particular combo.

The only way to properly measure a driveshaft is to get the yoke you are/will be using and shove it all the way into the trans. With the rearend at ride height and aligned(centered) properly, measure from the center of the trans yoke u-joint to the face of the rearend yoke and subtract 3/4" for an accurate center to center length.
If the yoke is not available then measure from the face of the rearend yoke to the back of the tailshaft housing(not the end of the seal). If we have that measurement and know the type of yoke used we should be able to get the proper number.

Be careful ordering a driveshaft off of a website that is setup for some aftermarket setup, your chances of incorrect length are very good. If you are unsure of what you have or need, feel free to call us. MWC is direct with Strange and PST, we offer the highest quality driveshafts and correct trans yokes for your needs.
Those of you with T56 transmissions with the stock 27 spline output you especially need to be careful. There are lot of aftermarket yokes out there that are being sold that are not the proper dimensions and will usually cause excessive vibes. We here at MWC have the correct yokes and driveshaft combos, and as always the best prices and tech help available!

HioSSilver 05-24-2016 11:36 AM

I'm using a stock length driveshaft in my car with a mwc fab 9

jrpimp00 05-25-2016 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 19272371)
I'm using a stock length driveshaft in my car with a mwc fab 9

You sure you have enough engagement on your yoke?

HioSSilver 05-25-2016 05:24 PM

It looks to be in nearly the same spot