Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

is changing the gears only worthwhile (traction concerns) ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
Monarch notes: trying to avoid sticky tires on any ls1 f body is relatively futile if you are after holeshot performance.
This is the ultimate truth. Nothing more need be said in this regard.

As for which is the better mod with street tires (meaning where launch performance is not the priority), it's still my opinion that an optimized stall speed is the better choice for a 4L60E/LS1 application. Both will require some launch finesse, but once you are beyond launch the shift extension improvement of the optimized stall speed is superior to the gains of any reasonable street gear ratio with a stock stall speed.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I agree...The Best solution is to put a tire on the car and get a good converter.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trex600450
As the title ask, is there any noticeable gain or difference to change the gears, to 373, 390 or 410, for on OEM ls1 and torque converter car, that being, an 02 A4 TA ?
Why not put them in now, since they will be what you need/want in the end of your total modding.....

And, right now, at your level, they will absolutely make the car feel better and it will accelerate faster down low and throughout the mid-range......regardless if its stock or modded.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

my first mod was 3.73 gears to replace the 2.73 that cam stock. Expected a big change but didn't see or feel it. These cars have a deep first gear in the trans that masks things a little. Then put in a 2800 converter and now I was getting somewhere, still stock motor. After the cam and all my bolt ons I did the Yank 3600. wish I had done that in the first place. Live and learn. Sure I, like everybody, have some traction issues even with drag radials but for that matter, everybody is in the same boat on the street.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by LS6427
Why not put them in now, since they will be what you need/want in the end of your total modding.....
Not necessarily. Many folks find that stock gears are fine for the long term with an optimized stall speed, especially if the car already has 3.23s which will allow for a bit tighter feel with a higher stall speed.

Originally Posted by LS6427
And, right now, at your level, they will absolutely make the car feel better and it will accelerate faster down low and throughout the mid-range......regardless if its stock or modded.
But the issue is cost vs. return. Unless he's able to do the labor himself, that gear swap isn't going to be cheap. For the cost, a stall upgrade would be a much better mod at this point. And then there is the matter of expectations - his reasoning for doing gears first was due to the misconception that he could go with a 3.73-4.10 ratio and get full traction on a max effort launch from a dead stop with normal 275mm tires. As that expectation is false, and was the main driver behind the desire for gears over a stall, I would argue that the gear swap would likely not be the better first choice between the two.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

A few comments here.
For a car that is street/highway driven and will NEVER see the dragstrip or 'street fun',gears are excellent to improve throttle response. Cost-gears, installation, speedometer programming,less MPG.
For a car intended for the strip and 'street fun',convertor of at least 3500/3600. Cost-convertor, installation, possibly some programming, no change in freeway MPG because of a locking convertor.
A stock LS1/4l60E/stock convertor/2.73 or 3.23/typical street tires can't launch hard because of the convertors' typical 2:1 torque multiplication at WOT/flash.
Gears make it worse because of the increased torque multiplication of the gears.
A convertor will also make it worse because of the WOT/flash to a higher part of the powerband where more horsepower exists.
OP mentioned nothing about current suspension. There are many mods that can be done to enhance launch traction. Torque arm, LCAs', LCA relocation brackets, shocks.
Then at what point will the concern about breaking the little 10 bolt rear arise !
Old 03-19-2017, 03:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I never had much trouble finding a decent launch technique for street tires and a 3500 stall speed with my 3.23/LS1/4L60E combo. Just be sure not to shock the tires from a stop, and load the drivetrain a bit - then quickly step into the throttle but don't snap your ankle or totally mash the pedal without mercy. You certainly won't get any record breaking 60-foots this way, but there's no need to liquefy the tires either. Performance from a roll is explosive in comparison to a stock torque converter.

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Then at what point will the concern about breaking the little 10 bolt rear arise !
Not a huge concern with the tires that the OP intends on running, at least as long as wheel hop is kept at bay and the gears are stock or properly installed.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

You want it to dead hook, I don't care where your at. Put a set of Hoosier Quick Time Pros on it. Our car pulls the wheels about an inch on the street. And that's with no prep or burn out. You will never get those BF Goodrich tires to hook. What's the point of having a fast car if you have to milk the throttle to get the car going. That's the way you get smoked. If they don't hook at the starting line. What do you think is going to be the case at a 100mph?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by TTur1996
If they don't hook at the starting line. What do you think is going to be the case at a 100mph?

Stock/bolt-on or even typical heads/cam cars should have no issues with traction at 100mph on normal Z-rated street tires in good condition.

Lots of street action starts from a roll. No need to limit mods just because you're not willing to run a drag racing tire on the street, the car can still be faster even if you have to finesse the launch.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of changing gears you can run a taller or shorter rear tire depending on what you are trying to do. Easier to change wheels than gears unless you have a quick change rear end.

Quick Reply: is changing the gears only worthwhile (traction concerns) ?