Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

changing pinion yoke?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Crush sleeve is there to keep the inner race from rotating and to insure proper torque readings when checking rotating preload, it also holds the nut tight against the bearing assembly. Without the crush collar there is no force against the nut, think about it. This is a precision setup assembly, wheel bearings are not.

Wheel bearings you mentioned are not torqued to such a spec and don't require precision set up BUT they do require a lock of some type to retain the adjustment nut.

I have something else to mention, when you go through engineering school and are hired to design such a assembly and are qualified to make such statements DO SO. Till then please don't sway anyone to follow you into HELL.
After rereading the above discussion I do believe this is the correct answer. What that other guy typed out sounds fancy but in reality that pinion shaft is NOT stretching or whatever he is wanting to believe.

Originally Posted by Mike Blanco
When tightening up the yoke for the install, you say to have the wheels/tires and brakes off the rotors. How are you locking down the yoke to tighten the nut? Or am I misunderstanding? Do you tighten the nut with the wheels on the ground?
I have that 3 or 4 piece prybar set from harbor freight. You can fit one (i use one of the longer ones) and the socket inside the front of the yoke, position it where it will hit the ground or the underside of the car and start turning your torque wrench and make sure its stable then get your torque. Done it this way many times.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
What that other guy typed out sounds fancy but in reality that pinion shaft is NOT stretching or whatever he is wanting to believe.
then you must believe when the nut of a rod bolt is torqued, that the rod bolt never stretches.

but why do we measure stretch on them ?

when you tighten the lug nuts on your wheels, do you know the wheel studs stretch?

when you tighten the pinion nut, and you are applying 500+ lb/ft of torque to overcome and crush the crush sleeve, you are stretching the pinion shaft. I can even provide you the math behind it and relatively exact amount of elongation of the pinion shaft if you like.

torque-tension and hooke's law is not fancy.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude stop, Its not a constant 500lbs on holding pressure and a pinion nut is a **** of a lot bigger then a rod bolt. Jesus. An even if it did stretch it would stretch ONLY the threaded section first and its naturally gonna be the smallest and weakest.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep taking the tech out of ls1tech.
and you guys wonder why your **** breaks or vibrates like hell.
once i correct the bullshit sold to me by you ******* guys car is sold and i'm gone and you can keep driving your junk in one direction.

i dare someone ask me why the backing plate is bent in the attached pic, let's make this really interesting.
Attached Thumbnails changing pinion yoke?-p22.jpg   changing pinion yoke?-p3.jpg   changing pinion yoke?-px.jpg  
Old 09-04-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

You are goofy as hell.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
keep taking the tech out of ls1tech.
and you guys wonder why your **** breaks or vibrates like hell.
once i correct the bullshit sold to me by you ******* guys car is sold and i'm gone and you can keep driving your junk in one direction.

i dare someone ask me why the backing plate is bent in the attached pic, let's make this really interesting.
Seriously you shouldn't be giving car advice, please seek medical attention because there is some messed up sheet going on in your head. I'm not picking on you, someone needs to make you aware of the delusions you are suffering from.

NOTHING you have ever posted up is truth, being such YOU must be dreaming this crap up. Good Luck Dood
Old 09-05-2017, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jerr6
I got ahold of the guy that built my rearend. He does it for a living and he told me if I check the drag before I take the yoke off I can install the new one if i tighten til i get same amount of drag.
Yes do what he says, I have built hundreds of rear ends and that is how I would do it in this case, and don't believe the stretch dude, the only thing getting stretched is the truth.

Quick Reply: changing pinion yoke?