Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end noise or is it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear end noise or is it??

Hello all I need some help. First off little back ground.
1998 auto transmission,
stock ls1, stock 10 bolt.
I got the car from my cousin and he had the rear pinion go out and tear up the diff and pinion. The car had a real bad noise as could be expected. I had a shop completely rebuild the rear including diff, bearings new pinion and ring gear. still have stock axles.. Drove the car about 200 miles with no problem. While out driving I stopped and got on it pretty good. all the sudden loud noise from the center/rear of the car, Also feel a little slop when letting off the gas. I again took the car to a different shop they had the car about two weeks. Told me the pinion bearing was bad. I had a feeling it was the transmission. Again I paid to have the rear bearings changed. To my surprise same noise still and mechanic has no idea. I had the transmission replaced thinking this would cure the problem and no dice... same noise and a different mechanic says rear end wasn't set up right.. UGH!!! now at the expense of $2500.00 I still have a broke car. Any ideas of what I could check?? How to tell if in fact it is the rear end or something else.. Thanks for any help...
Old 07-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Default traction control to non t/c car

I have a rear end that is in a 1999 ta with traction control. Can I put the rear in a non t/c car if I change the axles?
Old 07-01-2017, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No. A 4 channel rear(TC & ABS) has a reluctor ring on each axle at the hub end. A 3 channel rear(ABS only) has a reluctor ring on the ring gear carrier. A 4 channel rear has a sensor at each brake backing plate. A 3 channel rear has a sensor at the top of the rearend housing. That 4 channel rear end would not have a hole at top for the sensor.
The axle swap is for converting a 3 channel rear to 4 channel.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks so much for the info..

Quick Reply: Rear end noise or is it??