Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pattern on junkyard end.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern on junkyard end.

Hey, decided to try the gears with a chip i had no luck with last time "because am a rebel" with a salvage rear end. 5-7 BL .033 depth. the chip is in a no contact area.

Drive look ok to me but the coast there is a area that is very clear and then there is this area where is fades away smooth. Now, my question is if the area i highlighted in red is the actual pattern or is it the entire area i marked with the greenish highlighter?

Old 10-15-2017, 05:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Patterns look wide and good,a nice large mesh area.
Got a pic of the 'chip' ?
I've ground ring gear teeth to allow insertion of the center pin. The 3 teeth I ground were away from the pattern and that set is still going strong.
But a chip could have underlying/unseen stress cracks. Clean the chip area with emery cloth so that no 'roughness' exists.
Back in the 60s' I reworked a few chipped teeth with emery cloth and they were ok for 150,000 miles(sold the car).
Old 10-15-2017, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Patterns look wide and good,a nice large mesh area.
Got a pic of the 'chip' ?
I've ground ring gear teeth to allow insertion of the center pin. The 3 teeth I ground were away from the pattern and that set is still going strong.
But a chip could have underlying/unseen stress cracks. Clean the chip area with emery cloth so that no 'roughness' exists.
Back in the 60s' I reworked a few chipped teeth with emery cloth and they were ok for 150,000 miles(sold the car).
Thanks for the great info as always! Here is a pic of the chip I had to try hard to get the camera to focus on it, its towards the end in the tip.

Forgot to add there is plenty of space before the pattern ends.

Last edited by erickk120; 10-15-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Update.They are dead silent! Is it normal for the housing to get hot? I could hold my hand to it, but after 3-4 seconds I had to take it off. Second trip of 15 miles was still hot but a little bit less than the first trip "still hot though." Ended up with about 20ish inch lbs of pinion preload, 5-7BL with run out. For carrier preload I just added shims until I had smack it in with my shim driver and my 7 oz tack hammer. I used synthetic oil despite some forums saying to use conventional, I didn't know better at the time.

I had one last question if you guys don't mind, after how many miles can I really get into highway speeds? Been driving below 55 MPH
Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Ya as you've said pattern looks fine. One thing I always check when looking at a used gear set is if there is any burrs around the edges of the teeth. If there is it indicates that one gear is running off the edge of the other gear.... not good if you try and tighten it up you could end up with a howel, if it doesn't howel already. As far as going above 55 it's a used gear set and you've got a good pattern, i wouldn't worry about it. As far as synthetic oil goes, i also do not like it for differential. I know it will withstand heat but it just gets so thin when hot. We actually had a diff fail in a circle track car with a diff that had many previous races on it and was in great shape still ( at the beginning of the night) the thing we did different was to put synthetic oil in it. You should have seen it, it was so hot it was it was smoking and the oil was like water. Who knows maybe something else was failing on it but it looked good when we changed the oil. ?????

Quick Reply: Pattern on junkyard end.