Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" Axle Install issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9" Axle Install issues

I picked up a like new Moser 9" off a guy who had it installed in his 96 camaro for my 2000 T/A. I tore it down to clean it and repaint it as well as install my brake brackets on the axles. The bearings I purchased matched the part numbers of the bearings I had removed from the axles. I had the new ones pressed on but when reinstalling the new axles the bearing is sticking out of the housing at the O-ring. I have used every sized hammer and pulled the axles and started over several times but I cannot get these bearings to go all the way into the housing. I know they stick out a little bit but right now I can't even thread a nut on to the other side of the bolts to hold the brake brackets on. I have seen some people say they removed their inner axle seals when the bearings didn't want to go in but I wouldn't see why the same bearing wouldn't work now if it did before.

Also as a side note if anyone has any images of how they installed their ebrake brackets on a 9" it would be appreciated. Most images online are gone since photobucket killed them and the brutespeed page I was working off of didn't have any shots of them.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the LT1 brakes use a different thickness of shim between the bearing and the outer end of the axle. I may be wrong but getting ready to install a 9" myself and have been doing a bit of research the last few days. Hard to see in that pic but looks like there is a shim in there.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If the ends are the same as my 12 bolt which i believe they are, you need a spacer inbetween the backing plate and axle flange. The bearing is supposed to stick out a tad.

See here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...t-install.html