Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

driveshaft vibes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Default driveshaft vibes?

i have a 4 inch dump so thats not helping my vibes. brand new trans so hopefully we rule that out. i wouldn't say its a vibration, but more like a resonance through the entire car. doubt that its pinion related due to the vibe being only minimally worse at 110 vs 35. i can sorta feel it at 35, but i definitely feel it at 110+ but its definitely not ridiculous. its noticeable in the shifter ad steering wheel, but only mildly in the wheel. the hood maybe vibrates around a hair as well. i did notice that when i take it up to 110 and push hold in the clutch the vibration is still there and its pretty bad then. does the same when im going at 110 in neutral as well. i get back on the throttle at 110 and the vibe is still there, but much less noticeable because the exhaust note is there. the driveshaft shop balances their driveshafts to 2800 rpms. ideas?

can we rule out pinion angle because it does it in neutral as well not just under throttle? MWC rear has less then 4000 miles as well
Old 04-25-2018, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

im goona call around and find someone who balances driveshafts higher. i found a forum where a guy explained how to calculate your driveshaft speeded it make sense. at 120 mph my driveshaft is at 6,188 rpms. so jut because it checks to be in spec at 2800 rpms, doesn't mean it will be at 6000
Old 04-27-2018, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going through this now. My exhaust was ripped off, so it was dumping right after drive shaft loop. On the highway I had a vibration or resonance. Was thinking it was the aftermarket bell holding the trans not in alignment. Got two mufflers on that dump right before the axle over and was on the highway thinking I had a pinion angle issue when I realized it followed the exhaust. If it is a resonance like feeling, it's a good chance it's the exhaust. If you can put short extensions on for a test run and it moves you will know for sure.