Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ABS module question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS module question

Good morning guys. Trying to figure out if my 02 camaro is a 3 channel or 4 abs system. It has 2 wheel speed sensors in the front and 2 in the rear. There is no traction control switch inside, its blocked off. Also no traction control motor under the hood that I can find. So I guess its 4 channel, bu teverything I read says only TC cars are 4 channel. Thanks for any help
Old 05-05-2018, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

The sensors you describe is 4 channel TC. TC system would be on passenger side next to engine with a throttle cable to the throttle body lever.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

There is for sure no TC. There is absolutely nothing out under the hood and the only cable there is attached to the throttle body and goes directly through the firewall into the gas pedal. Also no switch, just a block off switch cover. Could this have had it at one time and maybe someone removed it? It has 4 wheel speed sensors, so has that system ever been used without TC? Thanks
Old 05-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Guess I should had that the reason I'm looking for this is to buy the proper abs module. I have the brake light and abs inop light coming on as soon as I move the car. I know this is a common problem with these. I scanned the car and its coming up with faults on those 2 rear abs sensors. weird thing is the front sensors read perfect, but the rear 2 read the wrong speed when traveling. They read the exact same speed but its way off from the front. any ideas
Old 05-05-2018, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by blownbird01
Guess I should had that the reason I'm looking for this is to buy the proper abs module. I have the brake light and abs inop light coming on as soon as I move the car. I know this is a common problem with these. I scanned the car and its coming up with faults on those 2 rear abs sensors. weird thing is the front sensors read perfect, but the rear 2 read the wrong speed when traveling. They read the exact same speed but its way off from the front. any ideas
check your harness first.

its odd that your car is a 4 channel but no tcs switch.......how long have you had this car? was there ever a time where you could drive it without those lights coming on?
Old 05-05-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Some owner before you did this: Car IS a 3channel ABS only and from your past posts it is an M6. In the past before you,the M6 blew the rearend. Owner couldn't quickly find a 3 channel rearend and put in a 4 channel rearend to get it running. Didn't care if ABS light was on. Then you got the car without being told what was done in the past.
The rear 2 sensors read the wrong speed which makes sense because a 3 channel reluctor ring has 106 teeth,your 4 channel rear has reluctor rings the have 47 teeth.
If you want to make the lights go away you have to install a 3 channel rearend. Very difficult/impossible to convert a 4 channel rearend into a 3 channel.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

unless he got a 4 channel harness and hooked that up only to find out obviously that doesn't work i can't understand why they are reading anything.....what tool are you using to verify the speed of the rear wheels?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Floorman279
check your harness first.

its odd that your car is a 4 channel but no tcs switch.......how long have you had this car? was there ever a time where you could drive it without those lights coming on?
Have only owned this car for a few months and yes the lights have been on since then. Previous owner claims he also bought it that way
Old 05-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Floorman279
unless he got a 4 channel harness and hooked that up only to find out obviously that doesn't work i can't understand why they are reading anything.....what tool are you using to verify the speed of the rear wheels?
OTC scanner
Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Some owner before you did this: Car IS a 3channel ABS only and from your past posts it is an M6. In the past before you,the M6 blew the rearend. Owner couldn't quickly find a 3 channel rearend and put in a 4 channel rearend to get it running. Didn't care if ABS light was on. Then you got the car without being told what was done in the past.
The rear 2 sensors read the wrong speed which makes sense because a 3 channel reluctor ring has 106 teeth,your 4 channel rear has reluctor rings the have 47 teeth.
If you want to make the lights go away you have to install a 3 channel rearend. Very difficult/impossible to convert a 4 channel rearend into a 3 channel.
Interesting take and very well possible. I will be ordering a new rear this fall so I'll have to make sure its a 3 channel. Curious if there is any way to verify that this is the case?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Curious if there is any way to verify that this is the case?
It's very simple. Look at your RPO codes. NW9 is for traction control.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spartan7
It's very simple. Look at your RPO codes. NW9 is for traction control.
These are the 3 digit codes that are on the sticker just inside the drivers door correct? There isnt a NW9 code there. Interesting.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are the 3 digit codes that are on the sticker just inside the drivers door correct? There isnt a NW9 code there. Interesting.
Then your car didn't come with it from the factory. I'd say the previous post is correct, sounds like the previous owner put a 4 channel rear under your 3 channel car. So of course your ABS lights are going to be on. Before you go replacing the ABS block, you should fix the problem with the rear end first. You can either put a 3 channel rear under there, or retrofit a reluctor wheel and sensor into the current 4 channel pumpkin, which is much more work for you. It's been done before though.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Since it's an M6 and in post #10 he said he'd be ordering a new rear end,just live with it for now. An M6 is going to need a 12bolt,9",or Dana.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
An M6 is going to need a 12bolt,9",or Dana.
That's a pretty generic statement, considering OP never mentioned power, driving manners, tires, etc. Mine has lived behind an M6 for almost 10 years now.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys and yes I'm ordering a 9" here very soon. Was going to wait til winter to start tinkering, but may hit a couple of these problems sooner rather than later. Have built some badass LT1's in the past. Been about 10 years since I've played around with these cars. Sold off my TA shortly after my daughter was born. Car was built and was caged and couldnt manage to get a car seat in there haha. 11 years later and my daughter was begging for something fun so he we are about to shrink the bank account. Owned a few 4th gens, but this is my first LS motored car. Should be a fun build. Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-06-2018, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Spartan7
That's a pretty generic statement, considering OP never mentioned power, driving manners, tires, etc. Mine has lived behind an M6 for almost 10 years now.
You're correct I didnt. With that said I need a 9". Planning my build now and already have parts stacking. Will be built and blown. Finally getting my daughter to the drag strip and she loves it. Will be fun with her involved. Now my wife cant complain as much about the money it costs to play
Old 05-06-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I checked his profile posts and saw tranzilla T56,and took that as power would be going up before I posted about rear ends.