Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion seal problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion seal problems.

last friday I noiced that iI had a few drops of oil on the drive way. when i looked under the car it looked like it was coming from the pinion seal area. so i took in in on monday under warrenty, and they said that they replaced the pinion seal, just like i thought they would. but today i find a big puddle on the drive way, I was just going to take it back in when i had a chance, but the leak got worse and worse. i think that about half the rearend oil is gone. I had to leave work early it was soo bad, and by the time i got to the dealer (about 20 miles away) the rear was making a little more noise than normal. also the 15 min that it took for them to wright me up and get me a reantal, there was a good 6 inch puddle on the service drive. what do you guys think is this more then just a bad seal? could there be other/bigger problems causing the seal to go bad?

what do you guys think? any advice would be awsome.
o ya.. i only have 20385 miles on the car.

thanks

Eric
Old 07-07-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the "Master tech" that replaced your pinion seal didn't quite get it flush with the housing or tore the seal installing the driveshaft, if it started making noise from lack of fluid you will probably get a new set of gears also.