Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 install problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default S60 install problem

Hello all,
The 10-bolt finally met its demise and with guidance from MWC I ended up going with a Strange S60 for my 2002 SS. The car is a road course car with ABS and traction control using the stock brake assemblies (4-channel rear). Long story short, the purchase order for my rear was not setup for an ABS car (didn’t include the ABS reluctor rings). We were extremely disappointed to discover this given an abundantly clear instruction that ABS function is a must for me on the track, but that’s a different discussion for a different day. A separate issue which compounded the issue is in lieu of the shop pulling off my stock backing plates and shipping those, I bought a set of backing plates online for a 4-channel setup that proved to be inaccurately described as they lacked the ABS fittings on the back. They should’ve just pulled the stock ones off from the start to eliminate that issue.

When we discovered the two issues, the guys at MWC communicated “the fix” to me as:

1. Pull my stock ABS backing plates off the 10-bolt axles,
2. Pull the non-ABS backing plates off the S60 and swap the stock backing plates on them.
3. I paid for another set of bearings and the ABS reluctor rings from Strange and they were pressed on the S60 axles.

All looks good until we go to install the brakes and they don’t sit properly. Strange gets involved (they’ve been extremely helpful...much thanks) and we start measuring and double checking the ABS reluctor ring orientation. Per the attached chart they provided, the outer edge of the hub to the back edge of the ring should measure 1.335” (see chart near the top right). Our measurement is 1.723”.....that’s clearly our problem.

The rub is we can’t seem to figure out why. Everything was pressed on by a machine shop that claims to have a lot of experience with these rears and they can’t get anything to press on further. I’ve questioned the possibility that the bearing spacer (should be part #A3000k) we were supplied is a similar looking but different part, but I can’t find the dimensions for this part to confirm and this seems unlikely. Is there some other element of the manufacture or assembly of the S60 that would vary from the original non-ABS rear purchase order and the 4-channel setup we are attempting to install? Any material difference in the stock ABS reluctor rings and the Strange ABS reluctor rings? Anything else that needs to be done to essentially correct me getting the wrong rear setup for my application to be one that will work on a 4-channel car?

Anyone have any thoughts on the specific items we should double check to see if we can pin this down. Pretty frustrating to have the car stuck on the rack so close to complete but we’re unable to figure out why our setup is almost 3/8” off.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Midnight02; 11-02-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 11-03-2018, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Took a couple measurements:

1. The bearing spacer measures 1.055”. Haven’t been able to confirm the measurement of part # A3000K, but I am guessing this will match up.

2. Inner bearing race is .875”.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

A few more pics. Witness marks on the inside of the wedding ring seems like it isn’t going all the way down past the machined part of the axle.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default PROBLEM SOLVED (hopefully)

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Took a couple measurements:

1. The bearing spacer measures 1.055”. Haven’t been able to confirm the measurement of part # A3000K, but I am guessing this will match up.

2. Inner bearing race is .875”.

STRANGE just confirmed the A3000K spacer should measure 0.688" and the one that came on my rear is 1.055". That should do it. Have the new spacers and new wedding rings on the way, so hopefully it all buttons up without issue once the parts arrive.