Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" Axle Force to Turn by Hand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 9" Axle Force to Turn by Hand?

I searched this and can't find any good answers. I just had the rear gear on my Strange 9" replaced. I didn't replace the bearings, only the inner axle seals. Putting the axles back in took some grunt. I bolted on the one backing plate and the axle would not turn. I realized the axle wasn't all the way seated, this took a good whack for it to seat. With this the axle would turn freely with effort.

I put the other axle in and made sure it was also seated. I never checked this before, but it takes a pretty good effort to turn the axle by hand. I can't turn it with one hand. I don't have the drive shaft installed or brakes. It doesn't have gear oil in it yet, and has a tru-trac.

Any idea how much torque it should take to turn? It doesn't really feel like anything is binding, I don't hear any odd noises, just takes more effort than I would expect.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had several 9" rears in the past and that sounds strange,
it should not be that tight to turn by hand.
Maybe they set the depth wrong on the pinion and it is binding into the ring gear.
You should also feel a tiny bit of play when you first turn it.
Also the axles should go in pretty smooth.

Are you sure the 3rd member is seating all the way in to the housing flat?
And not crooked or something.

Maybe try pulling the axles back out and spin the pinion by hand.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I did check the 3rd member before installing and it felt fine, some friction, but nothing abnormal I thought. The bearing are sealed and they don't spin so easy either. One of them is almost new. 3rd member is installed flat, I don't see anything bad there either. The axles did take some grunt to install, but the bearings do have an oring on them... and it was rather cold so it may cause more interference.

Based on your e-mail and my concern and started to pull the axle. Then I turned it again... and it wasn't really that bad to turn by hand. Not nearly as bad as I remember. Maybe because it was quite a bit warmer in the garage today. So I just confirmed no binding and that there was some play and the pinion turns very easily. I had my neighbor come over and we decided it seemed kinda tight, but nothing seemed wrong.

Thanks for your comments, I really hope there is nothing binding.