Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help!! 9" fbody axles

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!! 9" fbody axles

Bought a 9" rear end from trick chassis and this is my first for 9" install. I have a 98 fbody trans am I am installing it into. I have it all installed and now I'm trying to get the axles situated. For the life of me I cannot find one single video on any axle install for 98-02 bodies. I have seen on other videos some axle require the bearings to be pressed on. My bearing slide all the way down no need for a press. I put my backing plate main bearing and locker ring on axles and had to hammer it into axle a bit. But what I'm concerned about it what is holding the axle in? The caliper for the brakes that bolt up to the backing plate? Maybe I'm dummer than I bag of rocks. Could someone help me out here please.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaDad1216
Bought a 9" rear end from trick chassis and this is my first for 9" install. I have a 98 fbody trans am I am installing it into. I have it all installed and now I'm trying to get the axles situated. For the life of me I cannot find one single video on any axle install for 98-02 bodies. I have seen on other videos some axle require the bearings to be pressed on. My bearing slide all the way down no need for a press. I put my backing plate main bearing and locker ring on axles and had to hammer it into axle a bit. But what I'm concerned about it what is holding the axle in? The caliper for the brakes that bolt up to the backing plate? Maybe I'm dummer than I bag of rocks. Could someone help me out here please.
Your 9 inch axles should most certainly be bolt in. I've got a Midwest Chassis fab 9 with strange axles and 99 rear brakes. You're gonna put the brake backing plate on then your bearing then slide the axle in and bolt it in place to the housing ends
The following users liked this post:
FormulaDad1216 (03-13-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 07:34 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 91 Z28
Your 9 inch axles should most certainly be bolt in. I've got a Midwest Chassis fab 9 with strange axles and 99 rear brakes. You're gonna put the brake backing plate on then your bearing then slide the axle in and bolt it in place to the housing ends
yeah I finally got ahold of Alex from trick chassis and he explained what my issue was. They had sent me 2 sets of bearings. One set is useless and I needed to use they other set which is why my axle was sliding out.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaDad1216
yeah I finally got ahold of Alex from trick chassis and he explained what my issue was. They had sent me 2 sets of bearings. One set is useless and I needed to use they other set which is why my axle was sliding out.
Oh perfect you got it all sorted out

Quick Reply: Help!! 9" fbody axles