Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 and 9in ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 02:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 and 9in ?s

im looking in to up grading my rear, and not sure what one to go with the 12 bolt or 9in, i dont run at track offten but i want ot be able too launch at 5000+ rpms on sticky tires when i do, i do drive car alot and make 18hour pluse trips with it at times, what one will hold up and all so what kind of things do you have to do to get the sway bar ot fit and what not? thanks
Eddie
Old 08-16-2004, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

six to one, half dozen to the other.

Do you have Traction Control (ASR)? If you do, then either rear end is an option, if you do not have ASR, then you will lose ABS with a 9".

With limited track exposure, both rear ends will hold up fine.

With your 18-hour long trips you have a little bit of deciding to do there. Moser 12-bolts are notorious for howling like crazy when Moser sets up the gears. If you get a 12-bolt, be prepared to have to spend more money after the fact to get the rear gears re-setup by a professional. The 9" doesn't seem to have the same horrible howling problems the 12-bolt does normally... but the 9" will possibly make more noise than a 12-bolt even with the gears resetup (due to different positions of the pinion gear).

I personally have a Moser 9" and love it. I put a good 20-25k miles per year on my car.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks xaon my car is a 98 and only has abs and no traction control,
leaning more toawrads the 12 bolt but im thinking about the 9in as i have a 408 stroker in the plans in the near future
Eddie