Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

$ Install gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $ Install gears

Hey guys, What do you think would be a fair price to change out a set of 323 gears for a set of 373 gears. I'm talking labor only I have all of the parts? Also i need some help identifying a set of gears I bought on ebay. they are new 373 gears but they came in a plain brown box. I guess I'm trying to find out if they will fit in my 2002 z28. I didn't know about the different series carriers. Like I said my car is a 02 z28 doesn't have a series 3. The pinion gear has these numbers on it P01-875410-41 10.usa g-m-7. The ring gear has these numbers G01-875410 41-10 usa g m7. Any help would be really appreciated. I'm very knew to all of this Ls1 stuff and F-body's.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

No more than $150 for labor. The gears should be for 7.5 direct bolt in. The carrier either means 3 channel, or 4 channel. Traction control cars with ABS are 4 series, non traction control cars are 3 series. Gears don't matter if it's 3 or 4 series, just the rear end if you were to do a rear swap it would make a difference.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

most shops here charge $300-$400.

i had my installed for less buy a friend who did it at his house/shop.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

New England area: A reputable shop can charge anywhere from $2-500. Sometimes the carrier and pinion have to come out twice, because after everything is assembled the first time, gear contact pattern must be checked. If it's not just right, carrier and pinion must be removed, pinion bearing pressed off again, pinion gear re-shimmed, and bearing put back on, new crush sleeve again, and the thing re-assembled. Some shops do it just once and whatever the contact pattern is--is what you get and you're sent out the door. That's usually when they start to howl right away, or soon after install. The shop that will take the time to take it apart again to get contact pattern just right, is the one who is usually a little more expensive due to the extra time taken. These installs are the ones that stay quiet longest.Some installers can get it right the 1st time---but it's a crap shoot--especially when he's installing a different ratio--which is most of the time. In order for a 7.5 10 bolt to live awhile, things inside have to stay put--mainly the pinion gear and carrier. That's why the girdle reinforcement covers and main cap hardened bolt kits and the solid crush collar kits come into play.The M6 guys that like to sidestep the clutch at 5-6000 rpm won't do it many times w/a good set of sticky tires---either the axle's gonna break, or the posi, or ring gear's gonna shave like kernels off a ear of corn--especially w/4.10's. WJ
Old 12-04-2004, 06:51 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I usually get about $250. I have all the dummy bearings to use for set up, so it goes pretty quick. Most shops I know of get around $300 in the car or more. If the rear is removed, maybe $200 and up. Those gear numbers you are listing are for a 4.10. A 3.23 and up all use the same series carrier, if it is a stock 3.23 than it should be a 3/4 series carrier. The 3.08 and numerically lower are a 2 series carrier. The ABS and traction control makes the difference with 3 or 4 channel ABS. Traction control cars are 4 channel with sensors at the wheels, ABS only cars have the sensor by the center and are 3 channel.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Default Gears

Originally Posted by mzoomora
I usually get about $250. I have all the dummy bearings to use for set up, so it goes pretty quick. Most shops I know of get around $300 in the car or more. If the rear is removed, maybe $200 and up. Those gear numbers you are listing are for a 4.10. A 3.23 and up all use the same series carrier, if it is a stock 3.23 than it should be a 3/4 series carrier. The 3.08 and numerically lower are a 2 series carrier. The ABS and traction control makes the difference with 3 or 4 channel ABS. Traction control cars are 4 channel with sensors at the wheels, ABS only cars have the sensor by the center and are 3 channel.
Can you tell by the numbers I listed what brand of gears I have are they Chevy gears? Thanks
Old 12-05-2004, 12:34 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Cant be sure, but I would say they are not GM, probably US gear. The 3 main USA manufacturers AAM(OEM), US gear, and Richmond. I would guess by those numbers they are US Gear.