Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bolt broke, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Default bolt broke, need help

I'm in dire need of the wealth of knowledge here. The cross pin retaining bolt broke right where the threads end and the pin starts. I have seen quite of few bolts so it looks like there might still be a thread left holding it in. My offset drill won't align straight to drill it due to the carrier being too close to the housing. AND with out the cross pin out, can't pull the axles to pull the carrier. Has anyone dealt with this problem? If so, howdya get it out?
Old 01-02-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SAPPER
I'm in dire need of the wealth of knowledge here. The cross pin retaining bolt broke right where the threads end and the pin starts. I have seen quite of few bolts so it looks like there might still be a thread left holding it in. My offset drill won't align straight to drill it due to the carrier being too close to the housing. AND with out the cross pin out, can't pull the axles to pull the carrier. Has anyone dealt with this problem? If so, howdya get it out?
Happens all the time. I use a 12 or 18" aircraft style drill bit and a bolt drilled down the center as a pilot to drill it enough to back it out with a screw extractor. The long bit will flex enough to use a regular drill.

You can buy a kit that has the drill, pilot and extractor made for this also. I am not a the shop right now so I do not have the part #.