Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

???'s about the drain plug on 9"

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ???'s about the drain plug on 9"

OK, you guys that are running the 9", do any of you have the added drain plug? I wanted one, but was not aware that it had to be ordered extra, and Billingsley, forgot to mention it. So now I have a new Moser 9" housing for a daily driver with no way of draining the fluid (short of pulling the axles, dropping the driveshaft, pulling the T/A, and removing the entire center section just to change my gear oil...hell if I have to do that it will never get changed). So, I am going to take it locally and get a drain plug added, my question is where does Moser put it when they do it, and where would you put it if you had to add one. Keep in mind, I will be running the stock sway bar with the Spohn adapters so it will need to be somewhere that the sway bar will not get in the way, yet still low enough that it will get all or most of the fluid out. If you have a drain plug, can you enclose a picture so I can get a visual on it and then tell me if you like it where it is or would prefer it somewhere else. Also, should I add a fill plug as well? Billingsley said the center section already has one, but where is it? Is it blocked or hard to access with the T/A, T/A bracket, or T/A bracket attaching points. I just figure if I have to one, if it would be easier to have both I might as well. Thanks guys.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

I know there are a few of these out there. Even if you do not have a drain plug, but have a 9", where would you put it if you were going to add one?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was ordered with a drain plug just underneath the center section.running the spohn rear swaybar with no problem or rubbing.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

its all the way on the bottom....
Old 01-04-2005, 03:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I just drilled and tapped a 1/4 inch pipe hole on the side where the bottom starts to angle up so the floor jack doesnt hit it. I just use a hex brass pipe plug, never leaked a drop, the housing is 1/4" thick there so plenty of meat to tap into.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got my Moser housing yesterday and am in the process of cleaning and painting it. I did order the drain and fill bungs. As said above the drain is on the very bottom of the housing just below the center section. The diameter is 3/4"with a treaded bung welded on the inside. I think you could drill and tap a 3/8" hole and would be fine. The fill is really wild I don't know if I like it. It is located about 2/3s of the way up from the bottom of the housing, on the housing back where the big bulge is. A bung is welded on the outside and the diameter is 1 1/4" which I think is huge. There is a vent on one of the axle tubes that I think you could use as a fill, it would be slow, but it would work and surely be better than tearing the rear apart for a oil change.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fireball
its all the way on the bottom....

what Fireball said.its all the way on the bottom.

Quick Reply: ???'s about the drain plug on 9"