Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Adding ABS to 12 bolt? what's involved?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding ABS to 12 bolt? what's involved?

I'm curious what is required the add a bracket or whatever needs to be done to get the ABS on a 12 bolt that didn't have it originally? they charge 100 so it must be somthing decent?

Does anyone know if it can be done?
And what is required to add it?

thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

If you are lucky the rear was made ready for ABS and you just need to get a sensor or some axle rings.

If your car has 3 ch ABS you will need to pull the posi unit out, install the ABS reluctor ring and set the rear up again.
Also you need to drill the hole for the ABS sensor in the exact location to pick the signal from the ring.
If your car has 4 ch ABS you need axles with a machined area to press on the ABS exciter rings. Pull the axles, pull the backing plates,installl the rings, press the bearings and install.
For $100 let them do it - whoever told you that price either did not understand your need or are very cheap!
Old 02-07-2005, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Accually its normally around 100 to add it when your buying a new rearend. So I figured It had to be more than just a quick weld.

Thanks a lot for the info, now, I'm looking into not adding it, I was just curious if it was fairly do-able or not.

I'm just going to see what I'll need now to not use it and still keep good braking.

thanks again.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Scroll to the bottom of the page..."ABS delete block" might be your answer.
http://www.billingsleyracing.biz/Brakes_GM.htm