Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Newb gear ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb gear ?

Hey all, I'm trying to make sense of this...

>>>My Thinking<<<

If you have a car with more power, wouldn't you want to install a smaller gear...say 3.23' vs your stock 3.42?

or if you have

Less horsepower install bigger gears...say 4.10 vs your stock 3.42?

I don't get the thing with people installing cam's and headers and then installing 4.10's ...wouldn't this cause them to break the tires loose more easily???

Straighten me out guys!!! THX!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't cause you to break the tires loose as long as you have a proper tire & suspension to support it... it's the complete setup, not just power levels vs. gears. Nothing wrong with having big power AND big gears as long as you're prepared to set the platform up to support it.

On the street on regular street tires, yes, pretty much 1st & 2nd gear are useless at anything more than half or 3/4 throttle. At the track on ET streets I have absolutely no problems with traction because I have a proper tire for the setup.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are traction limited, there is not a lot of point to doing many mods. Like Tranzor said, you build a combo to match your goals and planned use of the car.