Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3.43 vs 3.73

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.43 vs 3.73

My car right now is up at a performance shop getting modded. I have a 99 Z28, auto. It has a lid, mac headers, ory, o2 sims, and a magnaflow. Its getting a mild cam, lowered, and gears. I just rebuilt and beefed up the tranny. I drive my car on the highway, don't race it at the track. I just want faster, but a driver. The car guy said my 3.23 are alright, but I should go with 3.43 He said the 3.73 prob isn't best since I highway drive alot, and don't need to suck more gas then a camel.He did say they weren't bad, but for my type of driving thought the 3.43 is best. Ive checked all the posts, and nobody really says much about 3.43s......what do you all think?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I am in the same boat as you. If i want to go to a track it is a 100+ mile trip (by the way i am making today lol) I mainly go to Lebenon Valley Dragway in upstate NY. http://www.dragway.com

But anyways. I am no where close to a track and I drive my car primairly on the street. So not only it must be reasonable, it must economical, and pass emissions (CT emissions ugggghhh).

When I got my Moser 12 bolt built, i had them put in 3.42's. I drive a auto, with a LT1 383 thats alot of work has gone into it. Some people asked why not the standard issue answer for automatic gears being 3.73's???

I stated, the car traps as of right now 113... on stock size tires. I will nitrous the car later and with a good tune and 150-200 shot I should easily be in the mid to high 120's and in 3rd gear i should be at like 6000-6500 rpms. 3.73's may make may car have to be in 4th which will slow the car down alot. As it crosses the traps.

Mind you I had 3.23's and only a small jump to 3.42's. But I drive the car everywhere and I wanted just a little more gear, but not too much.

Lastly i will say with LS1's your power curve is far different from a LT1 where as you may see signifigant gains with gears and a stall, but again what do you want your car to be? Thats the question you must ask yourself.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally, I think it would be a complete waste of money for that little of a jump in gears. I also think that the car guy is right in steering you away from the 3.73s if you don't go to the track and run on the highway in excess of 70 mph. I would go for a stall converter...your gears are fine.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Yea just go for the converter, thats what i got. though i was thinking of gettin 3.73s as well to get that jump on people when the light turns green!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 PM
Launching!

I do alot of highway driving at 75mph+. I live out in a area everything is hwy driving. Like I said I don't race it, unless a punk kid in a mustang wants a run for his money at a traffic light! Changing the gears from 3.23 to 3.43 I can care less about expense really. Its a few hundred dollars and I don't really care too much about that. I just dont know if I should go with the 3.73s. Its going to get gears as the cars up there to get them, along with the cam etc.........by the first answer it sounds like the milder gears will be alright for my kind of driving.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Launching!

I'm not being a pain in the A$* but I really need a answer for this pretty quick. My car is at the mechanic and if I need to switch gears Ill need to do it asap! Can any of you gear guys help a newbie that hasn't a clue as to what gears to run. My mechanic says 3.42 will be great for all the hwy driving......my friend whos never had a LS1 says 3.73...I need help! I appreciate all the help I can get on this one!

Quick Reply: 3.43 vs 3.73