Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone know the culprit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 12:11 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know the culprit?

Okay, so I have this thing that happens sometimes when I make a SHARP left hand turn too fast, I hear a god awful screeching. I found out that my driver side axel actually has too much end-play and when I turn, the axel comes as far out as it can, which is just enough to come out and make the rotor rub on the caliper bracket. My question is, what would cause that axel to have too much end play? Would it just be a shim, or maybe a bearing? Or am I looking at something more serious like a whole posi unit? If it helps the car has never had drag radials on or been to the track and has 55,000 miles on it. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gm sells a shim kit for this so it must be an ongoing problem--my 95 z did it--i just took a bit of material off the mounting bracket and it stopped.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

busted driver's side axle or c-clip. jack up one side of rear enough to lift one back tire off ground. can you turn the tire(put tranny in gear with car off{M6} or park with car off{A4})? Also i'd pull the pumpkin cover to see if anything looks out of place.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lifted up one side of the car yesterday and i couldn't turn the wheel that was lifted- I did this for both sides. I was gonna pull the cover off, but I didn't have time.