Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

The Saga continues

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The Saga continues

After purchasing a low milage 10bolt from a local, I had my old 10bolt that broke an axle replaced with this new one in 6 days and I was ready to go on vacation. Upon driving 30mins 3X within the 2 days after i fixed it I noticed nothing. Well Vacation time arrived Sunday and after driving 1.5hrs down the interstate I started smelling gear oil only when i got on it, confused i pulled over at a rest area and noticed that smoke was coming out of the differential. Concerned, I decided to check and see if i had leaked out the gear oil after noticing that the drain plug wasn't very tight. After new oil, tightening drain plug and letting it cool off I was on the road agian. 30mins later Lots of smoke coming out the back and when i slowed down i heard clunk clunk as if the rear was about to lock up. Had to get it towed home and got to thinking..

Long story short... I believe I may have over tighted the bearing journals. If this is the case can i just replace the big smooth bearings the axle sit in and be done with it? Or is there much more broken? Also, where can i find these bearings and how hard are they to replace?
Old 07-08-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

BOO! This is the most common problem with our cars and nobody knows about it??? Come on
Old 07-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Sounds like ya need to check the pinion and see if it loose! You sure are having some luck hu!Jack the rear of the car off the ground take you driveshaft loose and spin it by hand and see how it feels.Take the check plate off to and look at the gears and make sure theres no damage!But if There was smoke coming from the rear sounds like something was to thight maybe the pinion nut????Have you contacted the person ya bought it from.Are any aftermarket gears or stuff in the rear!Did ya get to go on vacation must really suck hu!Good luck!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Sry was on vacation. Once I loosened up the journals it helped out alot and its drivable now. Now there is a pretty bad whine and clunk when i slow down. I am looking into it now. Thx!!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the pinion got loose and walked! When ya loosened the carrier cap it prodably moved back alitte and gave its self a little room!That would descride the hard to turn and whine of the gears! Maybe good luck its hard to diagnose at a computer!