Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Another 9" question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 11:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another 9" question

I want a 9" for my 01 Z & plan on doing this during the coming winter. Here's the deal, I want to do a lot of this myself as this is my hobby & I love to work on my car. Someone gave me a center section. It appears it's a 28 spline beyond that I am clueless. I don't know how to tell if it has a locker/limited slip/open? I counted the teeth and I come with 3.88? What housing should I buy? Are there bad housing out there ie; different strengths? If so how can I tell if I got a good housing?
Thanks,
Old 07-16-2005, 08:02 PM
Teching In

call moser or currie for the housing and axles, they sell bolt in housings with all the torque arm brackets and spring mounts etc.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by code4
I want a 9" for my 01 Z & plan on doing this during the coming winter. Here's the deal, I want to do a lot of this myself as this is my hobby & I love to work on my car. Someone gave me a center section. It appears it's a 28 spline beyond that I am clueless. I don't know how to tell if it has a locker/limited slip/open? I counted the teeth and I come with 3.88? What housing should I buy? Are there bad housing out there ie; different strengths? If so how can I tell if I got a good housing?
Thanks,
If it is a stock center section, you should leave it that way; stock. It is not worth putting a stock third member in place of a performance part. In my opinion, you need to get a Moser or equivalent nodular iron or aluminum case. These are beefed up around the pinion bearing and will withstand the amount of load you will be putting on it. If you use the one you have, you are just asking for trouble, as you will probably end up with a crack in the housing around the pinion bearing.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Kevin