Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

torque arm rubbing floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque arm rubbing floor

I just installed a Moser 12 bolt in my 01 TA and inhereted a bad rattle. Just tracked it down. My edelbrock torque arm is rubbing the driveshaft tunnel. About 10" from where it bolts to the rear is where it is rubbing against the floor. The car is lowered an inch and the rear end appears to be centered. It appears the wider rear end housing is pushing the torque arm out enough that it rubs the tunnel. Obviously very load in the car.

I don't really want to "pound" some clearance into my tunnel. Is there another torque arm I need with the 12 bolt? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06WS6
I just installed a Moser 12 bolt in my 01 TA and inhereted a bad rattle. Just tracked it down. My edelbrock torque arm is rubbing the driveshaft tunnel. About 10" from where it bolts to the rear is where it is rubbing against the floor. The car is lowered an inch and the rear end appears to be centered. It appears the wider rear end housing is pushing the torque arm out enough that it rubs the tunnel. Obviously very load in the car.

I don't really want to "pound" some clearance into my tunnel. Is there another torque arm I need with the 12 bolt? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

FYI, i broke that torque arm last weekend at the track. Be careful with it man. mine broke in half right at the adjustment area. I recommend getting a chassis mount TA of some sort. the only answer i know of to fix your banging problems though is to clearance the floorboard with a hammer, sorry.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up. How much power are you putting to the ground? Are you running slicks?
Old 09-24-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have an adjustable pan hard bar? If not you need to get one, and center the rear. If it still doesn't clear your gona have to pull out the hammer.
Old 09-24-2005, 04:28 PM
Teching In

I don't have an adjustable panhard bar, but if anything it appears the rear end actually needs to go even more towards the drivers side for the wheels to be centered. This is would push the torque arm even further into the side of the tunnel. Guess I'm gonna have to do some pounding.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 9" in my car with v6 springs w/ no isolator, it sits about an inch lower, and my random tech TA hits the DS tunnel. I still have a stock panhard bar in my car and I can tell just by looking at it that the rear end in my car sits about an inch to the left.

Pull out the measuring tape and check it. I'f it's close to center you'll just have to hammer.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06WS6
Thanks for the heads up. How much power are you putting to the ground? Are you running slicks?

430/400, using 26x10x15 Hoosier slicks in sig.