Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Bent Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Axle?

There has been a very annoying squeking noise coming from one of the rear wheels at about 15 - 35 mph. So today I put the rear of the car on jack stands and put it in 3rd gear and let it idle so that I could maybe find what the culprit was. I got out and noticed that one of my wheels was wobbling real bad. I took off the wheel and put it in 3rd again and the disc and hub was doing the same thing. Since the disc was wobbling, it would come in contact with the brake pad causing the squeking noise. I figured that I have a bent axle. Does this sound accurate?

Should I just replace it with a stock axle or should I go with aftermarket axles? The car will simply be a bolt on car. I can't seem to find any axles anywhere. Where's the best place to buy? Maybe I should just go ahead and get a 9"...if I only had the $$$ .

First the clutch goes out on me, then the clutch master decides to take a dump and die, and now I have a bent axle! What next?

Last edited by 69huggerZ; 10-16-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a stock axle just sitting in my garage. I'll give it to you if you want it. (just pay shipping)
Old 10-17-2005, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

.:ttt:.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

ttt

If the axle is bent, will I have to replace the axle bearings?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

did u take that guys axle?

and if you do take out the axle just go get a pair of bearings and change em anyway.

I currently think I might have bent mine.

Can you describe the sound a little better? Mine seems to sound like metal on metal.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had to replace my axle bearings with the repair kit from autozone. i have ALOT of wear where the bearings run. it was a real loud roar. the new bearings fixed the prob. so i would put new bearings in while i had it all apart
Old 10-19-2005, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by j3ff
Can you describe the sound a little better? Mine seems to sound like metal on metal.
Like most noises it's hard to describe. Its a high pitch squek that is intermittent. The frequency speeds up as the car speeds up and slows down as the car slows down. It's being caused by the pad coming in contatact with the disc because the axle is bent which in turn causes the disc to "wobble". It basically just sounds like intermittent brakes squeking.