Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear or broken u-joint?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear or broken u-joint?

Recently my car has been make a rattling noise from the middle or rear of the car, its hard to tell. I can only here it when the car is not in gear and coasting to a stop.I've noticed the transmission has been clunking more also. It is not hard to shift and does not pop out of gear or anything like that.The rattling sounds almost like the shaking of a paint can. Maybe a broken tranny mount?
Old 10-29-2005, 08:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first thought was a broken tranny mount. The stock torque arm and many aftermarket arms as well, locate the front part of the arm on the tailshaft of the tranny. This places a lot of stress on the transmission, and broken tranny mounts are very common, and occasionally I hear of someone breaking the tranny tailshaft.
BMR, Spohn and Global West make torque arms that relocate the front mount back behind the tranmission, where GM should of placed it in the first place. The Spohn torque arm does not require any welding, and is the one I use. I haven't ever tried the Global West torque arm.
Another benefit of placing the front part of the torque arm back behind the transmission is it favorably changes the torque arms geometry for planting the rear tires much better! Bob
Old 11-01-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

I have this same noise and have been wondering what the heck it is for about a month.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Launching!

I changed my tranny mount today to an ES mount but it didn't do anything except make my car louder and vibrate more. The noise is still there and it's driving me nuts!!! Found out something new today. When I turn the steering wheel a little to the left and right while driving the rattle becomes more pronounced and consistent but when I let it track straight the rattle goes away The tranny still clanks and clunks alot when I go in and out of gear. It still shifts fine without any grinding or poping out of gear.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Shutout
I changed my tranny mount today to an ES mount but it didn't do anything except make my car louder and vibrate more. The noise is still there and it's driving me nuts!!! Found out something new today. When I turn the steering wheel a little to the left and right while driving the rattle becomes more pronounced and consistent but when I let it track straight the rattle goes away The tranny still clanks and clunks alot when I go in and out of gear. It still shifts fine without any grinding or poping out of gear.
Just a thought, but are you absolutely sure your spare tire isn't loose?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shutout
Found out something new today. When I turn the steering wheel a little to the left and right while driving the rattle becomes more pronounced and consistent but when I let it track straight the rattle goes away .
that is a normal noise believe it or not....its the torsen carrier in your rear ....i had the very same thing until i switched to a auburn carrier...now i want the torsen back ...the auburn is basicly for drag racing..not very good on the street in the turns.By the way the noise you are hearing is called "the marbles in a box noise"it will hurt nothing.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Funny, my brother said to check the spare tire too. He said his spare tire rattled for a month until he found where it was coming from.I'll let you know if I find anything specific. Thanks for the help guy's.