Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Leaking oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking oil?

I seem to be leaking some oil from around the driveshaft near the rear end. I cant exactly tell fro sure where its comnig from but it definately looks like the back part of the driveshaft that connects to the rear end. Any idea what it could be for sure or how much/what Id need to do to fix this problem? Im now getting a SES light as well. Seems to be dripping on my exhaust pipe. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
Old 11-13-2005, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya probably gots a leaky pinion seal very common!Needs to be installed by someone good with some preload on that pinion where it want be so loose and floppy!SES light just gots to get it scanned !
Old 11-13-2005, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecko70
I seem to be leaking some oil from around the driveshaft near the rear end. I cant exactly tell fro sure where its comnig from but it definately looks like the back part of the driveshaft that connects to the rear end. Any idea what it could be for sure or how much/what Id need to do to fix this problem? Im now getting a SES light as well. Seems to be dripping on my exhaust pipe. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
It is either going to leak from the pinion seal (the front will be seeping, and it will normally be all over the front of the rear end) or the rear cover (in which case you'll see oil at the bottom of the cover). Most likely it is the former.

A seeping pinion seal is very normal from these cars, even ones with 20k miles on them. As long as you check the fluid and it does not leave drips on your floor, you are probably alright (at the least, it's a good rust inhibitor! lol). Take out the drain plug on the side of the rear end with a 3/8" ratchet and stick your finger in it, you should easily be able to feel fluid if it is full.

Replacing the pinion seal is something best left to a shop if you do not have experience with rear ends. The driveshaft will be removed, the pinion nut will come out, washer, and yoke. Then the seal will be popped out & changed, the yoke will be cleaned with a scotchbrite pad, and it will be re-assembled. It seems easy but the critical part is the re-tightening of the pinion nut. It must be done in a certain way as to not overcrush the sleeve and ruin the bearings.

Your SES light is unrelated to your rear end, as it mainly deals with emissions stuff (misfires, o2 problems, cat problems, evap, etc).