Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stock 10 Bolt Power Threshold

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock 10 Bolt Power Threshold

I apologize if this is a repost. I tried searching but couldn't find info on it.

I am wondering if its possible to come up with a number for power or torque that you'd consider a threshold for breaking the stock 10 bolt rear end. My reason is, I want to keep using my stock 10 bolt with the T2R limited slip differential.

So if people could throw out numbers for me then that would be great.

The type of driving ill be doing is at most on Nitto 555r drag radials up to 70mph and also some autocrossing. The launches won't be that hard, but I will do a few hard ones. Let me know if I've provided enough info for anyone to give me a guestimation.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

main convern is m6 or auto. M6 and you can break it on stock power and stock tires. You may not but it is likely. Auto can go much further. I have broken 3 posis on my 10bolt...every time because of wheel hop. car is over 700rwhp...but wheel hop will kill it on stock power.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I've never had any wheel hop problems if I'm just dumping the clutch. Not sure if the welded subframes help that or some of the other mods. My car does wheelhop on a reverse tire spin though
Old 11-18-2005, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Depending on your power level, you should be OK if you are only doing autocross/pro solo type starts. Like previously mentioned, an M6, any stickier drag radial, big power (>400 # ft./hp at the wheels) or a sticky drag strip launch pad & wheel hop and you'll be committing a double murder (that poor T2R & your ring & pinion).
Old 11-18-2005, 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its all relative, and how you treat it. Ive heard of guys busting theirs with a bone stock car, but its been beaten on pretty hard. It wouldnt seem likely, but its happened. I have 4.10's in my stocker for now, and I made over 400 to the wheels. Im putting in my 9" over the holiday break. Save up some money, and go with something stronger, imo.