Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How could this happen??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How could this happen??

OK, brand new moser 12 bolt, just put it in and took it for a test drive. Came back, jacked the car up to double check that everything stayed tight and noticed my monster tires were pretty close to rubbing in a few places. I went to take the wheel off to do some more BFH work, and one of the lugs was real hard to turn. After working it back and forth for a while it started spinning freely... Well, the wheel stud is turning with the lugnut.... The stud is not broke (can't get the wheel off), it must be stripped out on the end or something.

Little more info, I wasn't going crazy with an impact wrench or anything, just a 4-way, lugs were not tightened insanley hard or anything. How in the hell did I do this?

Now how to fix this?? Cut lugnut (SST open end) behind the head, cut through the stud to get the wheel off, and then pull axle to install a new stud?? Seems like the only option to me at this point.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have to pull the axle to replace the stud. If I'm not mistaken, there is an access hole through the backside. Bob