Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Definition of Master and Slave Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definition of Master and Slave Cylinder?

Hi guys, forgive my ignornace but i did a search on the net and i can't really find a good definition of what a slave and master cylidner is. I know they deal with the clutch but i would like to know the technical definition of what each thing does, aswell as how they go bad, and what it feels like when something is going bad. I have an 02 t/a and i am thinking of upgrading to the z06 clutch, right now my clutch grabs really really high, someone said that is the master malfunctioning or something along those lines. I would like to upgrade the master to a mcleod adjustable. I do not know if my slave needs to be replaced, another friend said that if it sticks to the floor thats the hdyraulics and thus the slave is going bad. I don't want to go all out and get a very expensive hard to drive on the street clutch, i just want to replace what i have now and start from scratch and not spend a whole lot. IF anyone would be kind enough to help me with some definitions or point me to some resources it would be greatly appreciated, thank
Old 04-21-2002, 11:05 AM
Coal Mining Director

Default Re: Definition of Master and Slave Cylinder?

The first easy replacement is the Master cylinder. It attaches to your clutch pedal under the dash and is a cylinder with a plunger inside that pressurizes the hydraulic line to the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is located in the bell housing and presses against the clutch pressure plate fingers to release the clutch when you press the clutch pedal down. An adjustable master cylinder allows you to adjust the pedal stroke to displace more or less fluid as you push the clutch pedal down which affects how deep the slave cylinder pushes against the clutch pressure plate fingers. A good starting point is the Mcleod adjustable master as it gives you control over the system.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the explaination.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:59 PM
FormerVendor

What is the better slave cylinder 288 or 145, I have a 00 M6 and the pedal sticks on the floor on 2.5k feathered launches at the track, I am going to get an adjustable MC and a new slave along with a clutch/PP in the near future...thanx

Quick Reply: Definition of Master and Slave Cylinder?