Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Noise from the rear-end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise from the rear-end?

Hello folks,
I had new rotors and brake pads put on rear axle two weeks ago. Last week while driving I began to notice a whine as I drove. It increased as speed increased but can't hear it at above 60mph. I felt the rear hubs to see if one was hotter than the other but they were the same. I have heard rear gears roar usually the loadest when you back off the throttle but none of that. Having the brake rotors and pads worked on of course leads me to suspect something there and I'll check it out. I hope it isn't the transmission - I checked fluid and all seems well. Maybe it's u-joints. It does seem to cluck sometimes when downshifting back into first when slowing down. I guess I also need to be sure rear-end is full of fluid. I had the pinion seal replaced approx. 1 year ago. The noise seemed to be getting louder and I have another car which I have been driving but I need my T/A - 98 LS! A4. Any help is appreciated.