Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need help with 4 channel rear end problem

Old 04-28-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need help with 4 channel rear end problem

I've got an 00 Z with a 4 channel rear end.

As soon as I broke my 10 bolt at the track, the ABS INOP and ASR OFF lights were on. My torsen broke, the side gear stripped out so the axle was loose, flopping the wheel all over the wheel well.

I assumed that the reluctor ring on the axle smacked into the speed sensor a few times and that was why the light was on.

The code was for 'Left Rear Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction'.

I installed a 12 bolt and the light was still on, obviously. Figuring the sensors were bad I got 2 others from a 30k mile car. I installed the sensor and drove 50 miles but the light is still on. I now have swapped the left sensor (new, but questionable) with the right sensor (know it works) to see if the code changes sides, I'll scan it again later.

I took down the ASR harness and none of the wires have excess resistance.

I can't delete the ABS/ASR codes with my scanner. In my experience with Chryslers you can't delete their codes either - they go away only when the problem is fixed.

Am I missing something here - is there some special way to reset the ABS/ASR controller?

Any other suggestions as to what the problem could be?
Old 04-29-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

bump....no love for me
Old 04-30-2006, 05:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think it takes a high number of drive cycles to reset itself, otherwise your gonna need a tech II to do it. Did you check the harness itself to make sure its good and all? not corroded or anything?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Snap-on scanner will delete ABS codes. I did it on my 2000 TA, and my wifes 96 lumina. What scanner are you using?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

Odd, I had a bent axle in my 10bolt and I put a 3channel axle in and had to take out the sensor, drove around about a month without a sensor and the ABS INOP and TCS OFF lights on, got my 9" w/ 4channel, plugged everything up and it was a little screwy the first 100 miles like I would start it up and ABS INOP would be on, so I would turn the car off and start it back up and it would be gone, then I would hit the TCS switch and it would turn it off but I couldn't get it back ON without turning the car off and back on again. But after 100 miles or so and a bunch of starts and stops it works fine now. I never had to clear a code.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
i think it takes a high number of drive cycles to reset itself, otherwise your gonna need a tech II to do it. Did you check the harness itself to make sure its good and all? not corroded or anything?
The harness is fine...

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
My Snap-on scanner will delete ABS codes. I did it on my 2000 TA, and my wifes 96 lumina. What scanner are you using?
I'll have to look at it when I get home, it is a really nice $5k one that will make graphs and everything, just not do what I need it to do

I thought it would have reset itself sooner, if it was going to at all...Whenever I dyno it and the ABS INOP/ASR OFF light comes on (from the rear wheels spinning and the fronts not) it only takes 5 miles, if that, to reset itself.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Well it's not the sensor, for sure. Or the wiring harness.

Search this Thread