Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end movement.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end movement.

I recently put new tires and wheels on my car. 275/40/18 Nittos on the rear and have noticed a grinding or rubbing noise whenever I let off the throttle in 4th, 5th, and 6th gears when I'm doing over 45mph. As soon as you give it a little gas the noise goes away. I have used a BFH to beat out all areas that showed to be rubbing. I now have between 1/2" and 1/4" of clearance all the way around the tire. It started making this noise before I twisted the drive shaft in half. I was thinking if it was the gears or something in the rear end that would have broke before the drive shaft because I had just shifted to 3rd when it twisted the drive shaft. I have a Moser 12 bolt with 4.10 gears and BMR LCAs. Does the rearend move that much? It also quits making noise when you push the brakes but if you let off it goes back to making noise.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found out the problem, the tires were rubbing before I twisted the driveshaft. I beat the fenders out after I twisted the driveshaft. When I the drive shaft twisted, I also broke the torque arm thus allowing the rearend to move enough to make the tires rub. This would be another thing I recommend people replace if they are putting down much torque. Well it gives me a good reason to go ahead and get the adjustable torque arm and panhard bar. I hope this helps anybody in the same boat or planning on doing alot of mods.