Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Power Lock Differential For DD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Lock Differential For DD?

Will a Power Lock differential be alright for daily driving? Will it be safe in the rain? Do they last as long as say a posi or the true trac? Anyone have any info on them or have one in their car? Thanks
Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

I opted for a Power Lok myself in my S60 for a couple of reasons:

- Higher torque ratio (theoretically more power to both wheels under spinning conditions)
- Ability to rebuild it for like $60-80 for the rebuild kit
- Ability to increase the torque ratio if I wanted (for all out racing it might be more desireable, but the 'standard' 75% is exellent for a 'street/strip' car that may see some road racing/autoxing)
- Long-term proven reliability, even under a buttload of torque

I mean the tru-trac 'sounds' nice, but c'mon, to have to buy a whole new diff when it wears out, vs a $60-80 rebuild kit is a no-brainer...

All I can say is mine is quiet, works great, if you get on the throttle in a turn it will definitly spin both wheels (ie, kick the backend out), increasing the torque ratio will cause that to happen with even less throttle... But just stay out of the throttle and it acts like any other LSD...

I don't drive my car in the rain, so I can't comment on those behaviors, but I don't expect any surprises if I am caught out when it rains... Well, any more than most have to deal with in regards to running 315 drag radials...
Old 06-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info. After reading this and talking to a friend that is a mechanic the power lok seems to be a better option. The ability to rebuild it is nice, one shot and u break the true trac theres $500 burn up some clutches its much cheaper like you said.