Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

new gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new gears

well i'm new at this. i bought my ls1 like 2 months ago and i have some stock 2.73 gears on my 2000 ls1 and wanted to put in some 3.23s, the thing is that i have a series 2 carrier and they told me i need a series 3 carrier. well i found an auburn series 3 carrier with 3.42 gears on it already and i just wanted to know what kind of difference will i be feeling with these gears and how about the gas mileage? my car is my daily driver so i wouldn't want to waste that much gas. my car's mods are; lid, k&n air filter, long tube pacesetters headers, borla exhaust, deleted egr valve, 315 sumitomos, tranny cooler and my tranny has all the goodies except i still haven't got around to put in a stall. oh and one more thing, the guy that is selling the gears said that the gears didn't whine when he took them out, how are auburn gears with whining, are they good gears to get for a good price? any input is greatly appreciatted. thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My .02 is not to buy used gear sets. If you are in the market I personally would be looking at a set of Motives. I haven't had much experience with the Auburn Posi so I'll let someone else chime in on those. Motives are a little softer, and alot more quiet than Richmonds.